19 Esplanade, a Photographer’s Home
The Esplanade in about 1880, a Frith Series print (259mm x 156mm)
Originally built between 1840 and 1850 Wessex Court 1-19 The Esplanade, including the Crown Hotel is now Grade II* listed. Number 19 is closest to the Francis Frith photographer who took this image, on the end southern end of the terrace. This rather large imposing house became the home of the photographer John Inskip (1833-1909) in 1878. He had previously had studios in a number of places across Scarborough and even in Sheffield and Bridlington. By 1881 he only had two studios, one above the new Central Tramway in Marine Parade and here with his family home in the Esplanade. Inskip seems to have had mixed fortunes financially during his career and he had learnt that as a photographer in a town with a mainly seasonal trade you needed to make money when you could. He took the opportunity rent out the studio in his home to other photographers. These were mainly itinerant tradesmen who used it only during ‘the season’. They included the Belgian, Henri Neumans, Edwin Debenham who had a studio in York but originated from the Isle of Wight, Fred Whaley, James Raine and Woods and Co who later became an established Scarborough photographer. It is possible that the Frith photographer who took this image was also using the darkroom facilities that Inskip provided.
Inskip died in 1909 and is buried in the Scarborough Cemetery in Dean Road. In 1921 his widow Mary was letting apartments at 19 The Esplanade (Kelly’s Directory).
Francis Frith (1822-1898) founded his photographic company in 1860 in Reigate, Surrey and specialised in photographs to tourist destinations across Britain, Europe and further afield. initially Frith took the photographs, but he increasingly employed photographers to travel on his behalf. There are a number of photographs of Scarborough in the Frith catalogue.
The Crown Hotel, c.1880 by Francis Frith and Co, print (147mm x 100mm). This print was sold by G. F. Marshall and Sons, a Bookseller and Printer with premises at 14 St Nicholas Street, Scarborough.